The Basics: Overview
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States. Take action today to reduce the risk of heart disease.
To help prevent heart disease, you can:
- Eat healthy
- It remains at a healthy weight.
- Stop smoking and stay away from passive smoking.
- Check cholesterol (“koh-LEHS-tuh-rahl”) and blood pressure.
- Drink alcohol only in moderation.
- Manage stress
Am I at risk for heart disease?
All people are at risk of heart disease. But you have an increased risk of heart disease if:
- You have high cholesterol or high blood pressure.
- You are overweight or obese
- Don’t do enough physical activity
- Do not follow a healthy diet.
Age and family history also affect the risk of heart disease. The risk is greater if:
- You are a woman over the age of 55
- You are a man over the age of 45
- Your father or brother had heart disease before the age of 55.
- Your mother or sister had heart disease before the age of 65.
But the good news is that there are many things you can do to prevent heart disease.