This guide makes it easy to get rid of Facebook once and for all.
What’s the difference between deleting or deactivating a Facebook account?
The biggest difference between deactivating and deleting a Facebook account is that deactivating your Facebook account gives you the flexibility to come back whenever you want, while deleting your account is a permanent action.
What happens when you deactivate Facebook?
When you deactivate your account, your history, including posts, photos, friend lists and “about” information, is hidden and others cannot search your account. However, some of the information, such as the messages you have sent, remain visible. Facebook saves all your information (friends, posts, photos, interests) in case you choose to react in the future.
What happens when you delete Facebook?
Deleting an account, on the other hand, is set in stone. You will not be able to regain access once the account has been deleted and everything associated with the user will be permanently deleted. For this reason Facebook delays the cancellation for a few days after the request, in case you change your mind. It may take up to 90 days after deleting your account to completely delete all your data stored in Facebook’s backup systems.
How to deactivate a Facebook account?
1. Click the upside-down triangle in the top right corner of any Facebook page.
2. Go to “Settings.”
3. Click “General” in the left column.
4. Click “Manage Your Account.”
5. Select “Deactivate Your Account” and follow the written instructions to confirm your choice.
To reactivate your account, just log in to the account online or use your Facebook account to log in to a third-party app.
How to delete your Facebook account?
1. Go to the “Delete Your Account” page.
2. Click “Delete Account” in the bottom right-hand corner.
Facebook recommends that you download a copy of your information before deleting your account so you have it and don’t lose everything you’ve posted. This is especially important if there are any photos or posts from friends you want to save.
Download your information on Facebook
1. Click the upside-down triangle in the top right-hand corner of any Facebook page.
2. Go to “Settings.”
3. Click “Your Facebook Information.”
4. Click “View” next to “Download Your Information.”
5. To add or remove categories of data from your request, check or uncheck the boxes on the right side of the page.
6. Choose the format of your download, the quality of photos and videos and the date range of your request.
7. Click “Create File” to confirm your request.
8. You will get a notification when your download request is prepared.
9. Navigate to the “Download Your Information” page again (click the upside-down triangle >> “Settings” >> “Your Facebook Information” >> click “View” next to “Download Your Information”).
10. Click “Download.”
After you re-enter your password, the file should begin downloading.